Thursday, May 21, 2009

Faith in the flow of life

Tomorrow is exam day for part 1 of my Thai Yoga Massage course.  It's a lot to take in in a week but we'll give it a go and see how it goes.  Word is...its really difficult to fail.  The worry of it vaguely reminds me of my fellow yogis and how we all stressed our teacher certification exam, and it was much easier than we expected.  So, I've learned not to stress these things.  

Its really starting to feel a bit like home here.  I'm still quite jet-lagged so every morning I'm up around 6am and by 7am I head across the street to the yoga studio to do my daily sadhana, yoga and breathing, before my class begins.  Tukta, the nice Thai lady who runs the yoga place, cooks me breakfast while I'm upstairs practicing and has it ready for me when I come down around 8:15am.  Who wouldn't feel at home with that kind of treatment?!

Just as I was feeling at home here, I get ahead of myself and start to think how I will feel getting on my way to the next dot on the map.  Then, that morning, I met two fellow unemployed NY'ers while having breakfast at the yoga place.  They are traveling and plan on going to Vietnam and Cambodia next and they have offered to meet up as I make my way there.  Just a little reminder to me to have a little more faith in the flow of life.

Last night I had my first introduction to a Kundalini Yoga meditation session with my new friend, Sakit, a very handsome Brazilian guy also taking the Thai Yoga massage course.  He just spent the last 6 months in India studying masters, meditation and traveling to ashrams, in particular Osho's ashram, who he has a particular fondness for.  The session was quite interesting as it incorporates shaking, dancing, sitting for meditation, and then laying as in sivasana.  I really enjoyed it...the freedom of letting your body go in all directions before sitting still.  I'm excited to continue to practice with him...Its really nice having met someone who is so passionate about following his path.  

Thoughts I take with me today...The greatest act of will in which we can invest in our spirits is  to 1) make no judgements (however difficult it is), 2) Have no expectations, 3) Give up the need to know why things happen as they do, 4) Trust that the unscheduled events of our lives are a form of spiritual direction (my personal favorite), 5) Have the courage to make the choices we need to make, accept the things we cannot change, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Love and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment