Monday, May 18, 2009

Seaking sattva and chai lattes

I truly believe that people and experiences are placed in my path exactly as I need to hear and see them.  Upon arrival at the massage school yesterday I met two British girls, one of whom is just finishing up her 4 months of traveling through New Zealand, Australia, the beach islands of Thailand, and now Bangkok and Chiang Mai, essentially the map I'm just starting.  I told her that for me it feels a bit overwhelming at the moment, it seems so long before I'll get home again, the comforts of home.  She assured me that the experience is so awesome and if she could stay longer on the road she would.  Reassuring.  

I was so glad to notice a yoga studio yesterday, Sattva Yoga, across the street from my guesthouse.  At my disappointment that the teacher is traveling, the nice lady offered me full use of the beautiful yoga studio upstairs.  They run a vegetarian restaurant downstairs with yummy fresh fruit smoothies which many of us sampled on our lunch break from class.  My reward for the day was treating myself to a 2 hour massage offered to the massage school students...just 400 baht ($12 USD)!

Last night the Brits and I took a walk into the main town of Chiang Mai.  One of the highlights of this adventure was noticing a Starbucks in town.....I really miss my Chai lattes!   We got a bite to eat and then risked our lives in a "tuk tuk" (a scooter with seats - pics to follow) who took us home and I hit the sack immediately...still so jetlagged.

This morning I woke up to an exciting email...that my good friend Margie will be coming to meet me in Sydney in early August!  I couldn't be happier with the news that I will see someone I know and love sooner than later....exactly what I needed to hear as I wake up missing home.  

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're settling in, Tara. Enjoy the "not-knowingness" of it all! In the meantime, central park is as you left it, and I managed to do a nice 3.5 mile loop after work yesterday...thinking of you all the while. xo D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dear, 2 friends of mine just came back from a Thai massage course in Chiang Mai, they really enjoyed it. Saw pictures of them SO I am starting to visualize you there too now :)

    Great to read your feelings through out your travels. thanks for sharing.
    Om Shanti

    ReplyDelete