Friday, June 26, 2009

For those of you who are still traveling with me, I apologize for my laziness in blog writing!  The last two weeks have been a world-wind of planes, trains, and automobiles (or motorbikes I should say!).  My first Thai visa expired on June 15 and so I was forced to make my plans to move on.  This was probably a blessing in disguise however, because I had gotten so comfortable in Chiang Mai, especially after meeting friends, that I really didn't have any desire to move on.  But, this trip is about getting out of my comfort zone and being adventurous so I packed my things and got on the road.  

First stop was Hanoi, Vietnam.  After two flights, one from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and another to Hanoi, a taxi provided by my guesthouse was at the airport to bring me through this loud and hustling and bustling city.  I'm not kidding, the driver must have honked his horn 150 times on the way from the airport to the hotel!  Literally, every time he passed a driver he would honk, even if they were posing zero risk of entering his lane.  I come to find out this is pretty normal here and the honking is actually their way of being considerate to the other drivers.

Well, the noise got to me...and you'd think after living in NYC this wouldn't even phase me, right?  Maybe something has changed within me because I instantly noticed how this craziness made me feel on edge, my heart beating louder, my mind wandering faster.  

I took a short flight and spent three nights in Hoi An which were much more peaceful.  The guesthouse I chose was just outside the center of town and I rented a bicycle to ride into town most days to buy, buy, buy at the many tailors and spent the evenings with a refreshing dip in the pool.  A couple beautiful dresses later I hit the road for the beaches in the south of Thailand.

As I boarded my third flight en route to Koh Samui, the flight attendant welcomed me with a "Sawasdee Ka" (Hello) with hands at the heart in prayer (as they do, and as I now do) and I realized then how much I had fallen for Thailand in the first month.  I was so happy to be back!

Unfortunately, I've spent the week in Samui nursing a severely painful ear infection in my right ear.  Nothing like feeling ill to make you miss home, especially the care of your mom.  I was strong though and got through it...last night was the first pain free night of sleep....the codeine probably helped a little!  Here, you can just walk into the pharmacy and buy the medicine you need, antibiotics, pain meds, anything.  It's wild.  

I did finally meet someone from New York City on this trip...Scott arrived at my Samui hotel the night before last and we started chatting.  He was one of the first people I had seen in Samui that was by himself...this island attracts many vacationers, less travelers these days.   We went out that night to check out the Samui nightlife and had quite a good time.

I think what I loved most about being here was my independence...even though I spent most of the time alone, mostly due to my earache and not being able to get out and meet people, I rented a motorbike and struggled through the earache pain to take 2 yoga classes a day.  The classes were my first intro to hot yoga, which kicks your ass....I left the classes dripping with sweat every time...awesome!

The more and more I read about holistic health, I've come to truly believe that every illness is our body's way of communicating with us.  I'm trying to find the lesson in my earache.  I think there are a lot of changes happening in me.....lots of energy centers opening, especially since my Reiki training.  So here's to letting old unnecessary habits release through all chakras, and replacing the space with openness, unconditional love and compassion.

Today, I'm off to Koh Phangan....promise to update sooner than later.

LOVE!


No comments:

Post a Comment